The Green Business Standards presented below define what a business or public organization must achieve to be certified “green.”
There is great flexibility in how the standards can be achieved. The Green Business Program Checklists provide additional information and suggested implementation measures. Measures previously implemented will be considered towards achievement of standards. Participants can request alternatives or exemptions for measures which are not feasible for their company.
To be a green business, first bring your operations into compliance with all environmental regulations. Then go beyond compliance to meet the general practices and targeted resource conservation and pollution prevention measures which are summarized below.
- Control water and energy usage and solid and hazardous waste generation.
- Provide incentives or training opportunities to encourage management and employee participation.
- Inform your customers about your efforts to meet the Green Business Standards.
- Assist at least one other business in learning about the Green Business Program and encourage them to enroll.
Resource Conservation and Pollution Prevention
- Encourage waste water management
- Monitor and control usage of water to avoid waste
Solid Waste Reduction & Recycling
- Monitor materials usage to avoid waste
- Implement solid waste reduction and recycling measures:
- Reduce waste
- Sort waste according to types biodegradable, and recyclables
- Reuse materials
- Provide containers at convenient locations and recycle cardboard, newspapers, office/mixed papers, glass, metal/cans, plastics and e-waste.
- Conduct regular maintenance on heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) and refrigeration systems.
- Save energy by installation/use of more energy-efficient lighting system.
- Conduct assessment of your facility to identify ways to prevent pollution.
- Check labels for cleaning products, building maintenance and other materials and seek safer alternatives.
- Properly store and recycle or dispose of all hazardous wastes.
- Implement pollution prevention measures